Some 2008-2011 Ford F-Super Duty vehicles built on or before 11-15-2010 may exhibit a pop or clunk noise under the floor pan when turning and may be more noticeable in cold conditions.
1. Install Chassis Ear JSP97202 in the Rotunda Technician Tool Program or equivalent to the right and left number 1 body support mounts located under the A-pillars.
2. Drive the vehicle using any of the following methods to generate the noise:
Approximately 20 mph with aggressive left/right steering inputs.
Approximately 10 mph while transitioning from a flat road surface to an inclined surface.
Approximately 10 mph, drive in a figure-eight with the steering wheel turned lock-to-lock (an event that causes some level of frame twist and then returns to normal vehicle attitude).
3. If a noise is heard/felt from either or both of the number 1 body support mounts, proceed to Step 4. If noise is not isolated to either of the number 1 body support mounts, do not continue with this procedure (use normal diagnostics).
NOTE: The use of air tools to loosen support mount bolts can cause the cage nuts to spin inside the body.
4. Use hand tools to loosen the number 1 body support mount bolt(s) from the affected side(s). Once loosened, air tools ay be used to continue bolt removal.
5. Use a wire wheel to clean all thread lock material from the threads of the body support mount bolts.
6. Apply Motorcraft Threadlock and Sealer to the threads of the body support mount bolts.
7. Reinstall the number 1 body support mount bolt(s) and torque to the high end of specification (87 ft.-lbs.).
8. Repeat Step 2 to verify that the noise/clunk has been eliminated.
9. If the noise is no longer present, remove the chassis ear and return the vehicle to the customer. If the noise is still present, loosen all body support mount bolts from the affected side using hand tools except the front-end sheet metal mount (located behind the front bumper). Use air tools to complete removal of the bolts.
10. Use a wire wheel to clean all threadlock material from all bolt threads.
11. Raise the vehicle cab slightly (about 1 inch).
12. Install a shim between the floor pan and number I body support mount that exhibits the noise.
13. Lower the vehicle cab.
14. Apply Motorcraft Threadlock and Sealer to all body support mount bolts.
15. Reinstall number 1 body support mount bolts and tighten to 87 ft.-lbs.
16. Reinstall the remaining body support mount bolts and torque these to 76 ft.-lbs.
17. Road test again to verify the repair.
PreviousFaulty Acura oil switch