Customers may complain about one of several concerns relating to a binding shifter, difficult shifter operation or inability to remove the ignition key. This applies to 2005-2010 Chevrolet Cobalt, 2006-2010 Chevrolet HHR, 2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada) and the 2007-2010 Pontiac G5 (all with automatic transmission 4T45-E).
SHIFT-BIND IN 2005-2008 COBALT, G5 AND PURSUIT
The cause of a shifter bind may be traced to the shifter button sticking in the handle. Verify that the shifter button is inoperative by evaluating if the park pawl pin on the shifter assembly moves when activating the button. If the parking pawl pin does not move when the button is activated, the shifter handle must be replaced. Refer to Floor Shifter Control Knob Replacement in the service manual.
22706231 Handle, A/Trans Cont Lvr (Model AL with MN5, TY8, VY7)
22706232 Handle, A/Trans Cont Lvr (Model AJ, AK, MN5;
Model AL with MNS except VY7)
22719080 Handle, A/Trans Con Lvr (Model AL w/MN5, VY7 (exc TY8);
AM w/MN5; AL w/MN5, R1V)
CANNOT REMOVE KEY: 2005-2008 COBALT, G5, PURSUIT
Some customers may complain that they cannot remove the ignition key.
The pin that activates the micro-switch may have moved out of position. This causes the micro-switch to fail to engage when the vehicle is placed in Park. If this condition is present, the customer cannot remove the key.
Verify that the micro-switch is out of position. If so, replace the shifter assembly (refer to Transmission Control Replacement in the service manual). NOTE: A change had been made to the shifter assembly for service. The replacement shifter assembly will read PRNDIL (Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive, Intermediate and Low).
15926820 Control assembly, A/Trans
SHIFTER HARD TO MOVE: 2005-2008 COBALT, G5 AND PURSUIT
The slider may be binding on the guides. This may cause the shifter to become difficult to operate. If this condition is present, replace the slide indicator and guides in the shifter following this procedure:
1. Apply the parking brake.
2, Remove the upper console trim. Refer to Trim Plate Replacement – Console Front in the service manual.
3. Remove the shifter knob. Refer to Floor Shifter Control Knob Replacement.
4. Remove the indicator plate. Use a flat-bladed screwdriver to release the locking tabs.
5. Remove the shift indicator lens.
6. Pull up on the indicator and remove it from the assembly.
7. Remove the two front rails by unsnapping the front and lifting up, and then back, to remove the rails from the shifter assembly.
8. Install the new guides. Place the hook end into the assembly and push down. It will snap into place.
9. Install the new slide indicator. With the transmission in Neutral, place the slide over the shifter and into the guides. Move the slide indicator down the guides in the front and rear. IMPORTANT: Replace the shifter indicator lens if damage is present due to the slider binding or if it becomes damaged during disassembly.
10. Install the shift indicator lens.
11. Install the shift indicator plate.
12. Install the shifter knob.
13. Install the upper console trim.
P/N DESCRIPTION QUANTITY
15872229 Slide indicator 1
15872228 Guide – Rails 2
15872230 Lens 1
CAN’T REMOVE KEY: ALL YEARS/MODELS
Check for power and ground in the ignition circuit. Verify for proper connection/contact at circuit D1, connector (C4 or X4) at the BCM (body control module).