This TSB involves 2008-on Mitsubishi Outlanders with the 2.4L engine, Lancers and Lancer Evolutions (with engines built prior to April 8, 2008). An oil leak at the front of the engine may be seen on some affected vehicles.
If diagnosis confirms that the leak is coming from the area where the timing chain case, engine block and cylinder head meet, the condition may be due to a misapplication of sealant during assembly.
The following is required to complete the repair procedure:
* Sealant: Loctite 5900 Flange Sealant or equivalent
* 120-150 grit sandpaper
* Non-chlorinated brake cleaner A999ZC1X03C or equivalent
* Safety glasses
1. Follow service manual instructions in GROUP 14 – COOLING to remove the water pump. Drain the coolant into a clean container and save for reuse. Water pump removal is best done from underneath the vehicle.
2. Thoroughly clean the area where the cylinder head, engine block and timing chain case meet and allow to dry thoroughly. Cover the water pump openings with tape to avoid contamination.
3. Remove any existing sealant visible in the area to be prepped for new sealant.
4. Using sandpaper, prepare the surface of the area for the application of new sealant.
5. Clean the area again using non-chlorinated brake cleaner and allow to dry.
6. Apply new sealant where the timing chain case, engine block and cylinder head meet. Allow the sealant to dry for 30 minutes.
7. Degrease the new sealant using non-chlorinated brake cleaner, and apply sealant a second time over a slightly larger area. Allow this to dry for 30 minutes.
8. Reinstall the water pump and the drive belt. Do not attempt to install the water pump until the sealant has dried for 30 minutes.
MN187246 water pump gasket
MN187247 cooling water line gasket
Loctite 5900 Flange Sealan