Subaru has released this bulletin to explain the inspection, diagnosis and replacement of the washer fluid level sensor on 2006 and later Tribeca, 2010 and later Legacy and Outback and 2012 Impreza vehicles.
- Release the retaining clips and lower the left front splash guard to gain access to the washer fluid tank and fluid level sensor assembly.
- Check for evidence of poor contact of the washer fluid level sensor wiring harness connector.
- If the low washer fluid warning light illuminates after draining the washer fluid, and if the light goes out after filling the reservoir, fluid level sensor operation is normal. If the warning light does not illuminate after draining the fluid, proceed to Step 4.
- Remove the wiring harness connector from the washer fluid level sensor, then measure the voltage of the vehicle-side connector using a DVOM. If voltage is approximately 8.5 V or more, proceed to Step 5. If not, check the harness and verify input/output signals to the combination meter and/or integrated unit as specific in the service manual. If the harness and signal checks are all within specification, combination meter and/or integrated unit replacement is necessary.
- If the washer fluid indicator in the combination meter illuminates if you connect the terminals of the washer fluid level sensor wiring harness connector together, proceed to Step 6. If not, check the harness carefully and verify the input/output signals to the combination meter and/or integrated unit as specified in the service manual. If the harness and signal checks are all within specification, the combination meter and/or integrated unit may require replacement.
- Using a DVOM, measure the resistance of the washer fluid level sensor as shown in the accompanying illustrations. With an empty reservoir tank and the indicator on, resistance should be less than 10 ohm. With fluid remaining and the indicator off, resistance should be 1 M-ohm. If resistance is not within specification, replace the washer tank assembly, as the fluid level sensor is not serviceable separately.
On Legacy and Impreza models, check resistance between the two terminals of the connector. On Tribeca models, check between terminals 2 and 5.