Some 2013 Ford Escape vehicles built on or before 7-18-12 and equipped with a 1.6L or 2.0L gasoline turbocharged direct injection (GTDI) engine may exhibit a malfunction indicator lamp on, with DTC P144C stored in the powertrain control module memory.
This may be due to an evaporative emissions vapor ejector installed backwards and/or a blocked vapor purge line port in the air cleaner outlet pipe assembly.
- Remove the engine cover for access.
- Disconnect the battery ground cable.
- Inspect vapor ejector installation. If the arrow on the vapor ejector indicates proper installation as shown in the photo, proceed to Step 6. If vapor ejector installation is incorrect, proceed to Step 4.
- Loosen the two clamps, remove the bolt (2.0L only) and remove the air intake duct center section.
- Replace the evaporative emission canister purge valve assembly. Removal of the underbody shield is required on 1.6L GTDI equipped vehicles. Proceed to Step 7.
- Disconnect the evaporative emission vapor purge line from the air intake duct center section.
- Insert a plastic tie strap, at least 4.0mm (0.157 inches) wide, into the vapor purge line port on the air intake duct center section to determine if it is blocked by flashing. A slight bend is necessary to pass through the angled port orifice. A 4.0mm opening is required for proper system operation. If the tie strap easily passes through the vapor purge line port, proceed to Step 9. If not, proceed to Step 8.
- Replace the air cleaner outlet pipe assembly. Tighten the clamp and bolt (2.0L only) to 44 in.-lbs. (5 Nm). Proceed to Step 11.
- Install the air intake duct center section. Tighten all fasteners to 44 in.-lbs. (5 Nm).
- Connect evaporative emission vapor purge line to air intake duct center section.
- Connect battery ground cable and reinstall the engine cover.
Evaporative emission canister purge valve assembly (1.6L GTDI)…..CV6Z-9D289-B
Evaporative emission canister purge valve assembly (2.0L GTDI)….CV6Z-9D289-C
Air cleaner outlet pipe assembly (1.6L GTDI)……………………….CV6Z-9B659-C
Air cleaner outlet pipe assembly (2.0L GTDI)……………………….CV6Z-9B659-D
Left illustration: 1) intake manifold; 2) vapor ejector valve; 3) air cleaner outlet pipe assembly. Right: Note correct installation of the vapor ejector (see arrow).
Note the location of the air intake duct center section.