This TSB applies to 2007-2012 Mazda CX-7 vehicles equipped with side air bags. Some vehicles may experience air bag system warning light illumination with DTCs B1994 (driver-side air bag module circuit resistance high) and/or B1998 (passenger-side air bag module circuit resistance high).
The DTCs may be due to poor contact between the side air bag connector terminals.
- Verify the concern.
- Using M-MDS, check the resistance between the side air bag and the SAS module as follows:
- Connect the M-MDS to the DLC-2.
- After the vehicle has been identified, select the following items from the initialization screen:
- Select “DataLogger.”
- Select “Modules.”
- Select “RCM.”
- B1994 / select “RES_SAB_D” or B1998 / select “RES_SAB_P.”
- Wiggle the side air bag connector to see if the resistance changes. If the resistance changes, go to Step 4. If resistance does not change, this TSB does not apply. Refer to MS3 online or the workshop manual for troubleshooting.
- Adjust the front seat position for easier inspection. Slide the seat rearward. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
- Record the customer’s preset radio stations.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the seat harness connector.
- Spray electrical contact cleaner DeoxIT #D100S-2 onto both sides of the male and female terminals.
- Re-connect the seat harness connector.
- Re-connect the battery negative cable.
- Wiggle the side air bag connector to see if resistance changes. If resistance does not change, go to Step 12. If resistance does not change, this TSB does not apply.
- Verify that DTCs B1994 and/or B1998 are not stored again. If no DTCs are stored, go to Step 13. If DTCs are stored again, proceed with further troubleshooting.
- Re-enter the preset radio stations and verify the repair.
Spray electrical contact cleaner to both the male and female terminals.