The owner of a 2011-2012 Dodge Avenger equipped with the 2.4L engine and automatic transmission may experience a MIL-on. Upon investigation, DTC P2173 may be found (high airflow/vacuum leak detected; slow acceleration). No other symptoms or conditions may exist with the MIL illumination. This condition appears after descending a long grade.
The customer may also experience any of the following shifting concerns:
- 3rd to 2nd downshift clunk or bump (2012 6-speed models only)
- 4th to 3rd downshift clunk or bump (2012 6-speed models only)
- 1st to 2nd upshift clunk or bump (2012 6-speed models only)
- 4th to 5th upshift clunk or bump (6-speed models only)
- 5th to 6th upshift clunk or bump (2012 6-speed models only)
- The rpm fluctuating or jerking feeling between 60 mph to 70 mph while operating in cruise control (2011 and 2012 4-speed and 6-speed models)
Updating the software will correct all of these conditions.
Using a scan tool (wiTECH) with the appropriate diagnostic procedures available in TechCONNECT, verify that all engine systems are functioning as designed. If DTCs other than P2173 are present, record them and repair as necessary before proceeding with this bulletin.
Install a battery charger to ensure that battery voltage does not drop below 13.2 volts. Do not allow the charging voltage to climb above 13.5 volts during the flash process.