Some Mazda vehicles (2012-2013 Mazda3 with SKYACTIV-G and A/T, and 2013 CX-5 with A/T) may experience an excessive shift shock at one or more of the following conditions:
- When shifting from P to R or N to P.
- When the transmission shifts immediately after starting to move in D.
- When the transmission shifts at cruising speed in D.
The initial learning may not have been completed at the time of vehicle production. To correct the problem, one or more learning procedures may need to be performed.
- Verify the customer concern.
- Follow the Diagnosis Flowchart shown here and perform the N-R and/or Slip Learning Procedure.
- Verify the repair.
N-R Learning Procedure
- Verify the STF temperature reached 140 degrees Fahrenheit or more.
- Shift the selector lever from N to R position and wait for five seconds.
- Shift the selector lever from R to N and wait for five seconds.
- Repeat steps 2 to 3 ten times.
Slip Learning Procedure
- Verify the ATF temperature has reached 68 degrees F or more.
- Drive the vehicle until upshifting from 1st to 2nd gear occurs at each of the following accelerator pedal position (APP) percentages: 20%, 40%, 60%. Monitor the APP PID using M-MDS and come to a complete stop before moving to the next one.
Repeat step 2 three times, then do one more at 20%.