Some 2008 Mazda Tributes equipped with a 2.3L engine and CD4E automatic transmission may exhibit an intermittent crank no-start, hard start or rough running after starting in ambient temperatures above 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Note that this bulletin does not apply to Tribute hybrid models.
1. Reboot the IDS to clear memory before reprogramming.
2. Using IDS 55.8 or later software, reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration by following the module reprogramming procedure.
3. After performing the PCM reprogramming procedure, verify the repair by starting the engine and making sure that there are no MIL illuminations or abnormal warning lights present. If any DTCs should remain after performing DTC erase, diagnose according to the appropriate troubleshooting section of the workshop manual.
4. After PCM reprogramming, it is no longer necessary to road test the vehicle to “relearn” KAM (keep alive memory).
5. Fill out an authorized modifications label (P/N 9999-95-AMDC-97) with the new calibration information, and place the label on the radiator support next to the emission control sticker.
NOTE: The new PCM calibration part number (Federal) is 8U7A-12A650-XA. The California P/N is 8U7A-12A650-VA.