Some 2006-2008 Ford Explorer vehicles equipped with a 4.6L 3-V engine may exhibit DTC P0196 (engine oil temperature sensor range/performance during ice/snow conditions); idle speed dropping below specifications, hesitation or loss of rpm with no DTCs stored in the PCM; or cruise control surge at approximately 50 mph to 60 mph in hilly regions (this only applies to vehicles operated at altitudes above 5,000 feet).
If normal powertrain controls/emissions diagnosis does not resolve the concerns, reprogram the PCM and TCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 63.08 and higher. Calibration files are available at www.motorcraft.com.
Note that vehicles equipped with a PCM and TCM require a coordinated reprogramming, as outlined by the IDS. You must follow the IDS prompts. Failure to follow the key cycle procedure without waiting for IDS prompts will cause the coordinated reprogramming to fail.
1. Install IDS portable diagnostic software or equivalent and identify the vehicle.
2. Update the PCM and TCM calibration. Since the TCM cannot be independently reprogrammed, reprogram the PCM to ensure that engine and transmission calibrations are updated.
3. Clear TCM keep alive memory (KAM) and adaptive tables.
a. Using IDS, open the toolbox, choose Powertrain, choose Reset KAM, and then choose TCM.
b. Using PDS, choose all Tests and Calibrations. Scroll down the menu and choose Reset TCM KAM. Note that disconnecting the battery will not clear the TCM KAM.
4. Verify that the transmission fluid temperature PID is above 175 degrees Fahrenheit. This temperature must be reached before proceeding to Step 5.
5. Drive the vehicle to perform adaptive shift strategy learn.
a. Accelerate from rest with light throttle to 15 mph, and then remove your foot from the accelerator pedal.
b. Brake very gently to a complete stop (allow at least six seconds).
c. Repeat steps a-b five times.
d. Continue to accelerate until you achieve 50 mph or the 5-6 upshift.
e. Accelerate from rest with light throttle. The 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 shifts must occur at engine speeds between 1,300-1,800 rpm.
f. Continue to accelerate gently to 50 mph or the 5-6 upshift. Brake gently to a complete stop and hold your foot on the brake for at least 10 seconds.
g. Repeat steps e-f a total of three times.
PreviousEasy Trailer Light Fix