Some 2008-2010 Ford F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with a 6.4L diesel engine and built before 11-1-2009 may exhibit a DTC P040D related to the exhaust gas recirculation temperature (EGRT) sensor, located in the right-hand turbocharger inlet pipe.
1. Using ODS scan tool, retrieve continuous memory DTCs. If P040D is present, proceed to Step 2. If not, perform normal diagnostics.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the off position.
3. Remove the right hand fender splash shield.
4. Disconnect the glow plug module electrical connectors.
5. Disconnect the inlet EGRT sensor electrical connector.
6. Cut the wire just above the sensor.
7. Apply heat to the sensor mounting boss.
8. Using a 14 mm deepwell socket, remove the sensor.
9. Install a new EGRT sensor. Apply a small amount of Motorcraft High Temperature Nickel Anti-Seize lubricant to the sensor threads and tighten to 32 ft.-lbs.
10. Connect the EGRT sensor electrical connector.
11. Connect the glow plug module connectors.
12. Install the right fender splash shield.
13. Clear DTCs.
A new EGRT sensor is available as P/N 8C3Z-12B591-E.