This bulletin applies to 2007 Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep vehicles built on or before 4-12-2007, including Wrangler, Sebring, Nitro, Caliber, Compass and Patriot. The subject involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the SAS (steering angle sensor) with new software.
The owner may experience an illumination of the ESP (electronic stability program) lamp on the instrument cluster. The ESP lamp illumination may be due to DTCs C121A (steering angle sensor not initialized) and C2205 (steering angle sensor internal).
This condition, and the DTCs, may be intermittent. If the DTCs occur during a drive cycle, then the ESP lamp will remain illuminated until the end of that drive cycle (key off).
Using a StarSCAN with the appropriate diagnostic procedures available in TechCONNECT, verify that all engine systems are functioning as designed. If DTCs are present, record them and repair as needed before proceeding.
SPECIAL TOOLS NEEDED
* Battery charger
* CH9401 StarSCAN tool
* CH9404 StarSCAN vehicle cable
* CH9409 StarSCAN documentation kit
* CH9410 StarSCAN Ethernet cable, 12 ft.
* CH9412 StarSCAN software update device kit
* TechCONNECT PC or equivalent
* Latest StarSCAN software update CD
Before performing this repair, the operating software in the StarSCAN must be programmed with software release level 7.04 SP1 or higher. The software release level is visible in the blue header at the top of the StarSCAN screen.
1. Open the hood and install a battery charger. Verify that the charging rate provides 13.2 to 13.5 volts. Set the battery charger to continuous charge. Do not allow the charger to time-out during the flash process.
2. Connect the CH9410 ethernet cable to the StarSCAN and the dealer’s network drop.
3. Connect the CH9404 vehocle cable to the StarSCAN and the vehicle.
4. Power-on the StarSCAN.
5. Retrieve the old ECU (SAS) part number.
6. Using the StarSCAN at the Home screen, select ECU View. Touch the screen to highlight the ECU (SAS) in the list of modules. Select “More Options.”
7. Select “ECU Flash.”
8. Record the part number at the top of the “Flash PCM” screen for later reference.
9. Select “Browse for New File” and follow the on-screen instructions.
10. Select “Download to Scan Tool.”
11. Select “Close” after the download is complete, the select “Back.”
12. Highlight the listed calibration.
13. Select “Update Controller.”
14. When the update is complete, select “OK.”
Clear any DTCs that may have set as a result of reprogramming.
PreviousFord 6.0L Diesel Calibration Update
NextBMW A/C Glitch