Owners of a 2011-2012 Ram 1500 pickup truck may see a “Service 4WD” light in the Cabin Compartment Node (CCN). The technician may find DTC C2201 (FDCM/DTCM internal DTC) set in the DTCM. When the system detects this, it shuts down the 4WD capability for the remainder of the drive cycle.
This condition is not monitored when operating in 2WD.
Updating the DTCM software will correct this condition.
Using a scan tool (wiTECH), verify that no other DTCs are set. If DTCs other than the one listed here are present, record and repair as needed before proceeding further.
1. Connect wiTECH to the vehicle.
2. Place the ignition in the RUN position.
3. Select DTCM.
4. Select Data tab.
5. Scroll down to “DTCM Internal DTC Reason.”
6. Does DTCM Internal Reason read “Task Failure? If yes, proceed to Step 7. If no, refer to the appropriate diagnostic procedures available in Dealer/CONNECT/TechCONNECT group 28.
7. Install a battery charger to ensure that battery voltage does not drop below 13.2 volts or above 13.5 volts during the flash process. Reprogram the DTCM with the latest software.
8. After reprogramming, clear any DTCs that may have set in other modules.
9. Type the necessary information on an authorized modification label and place it near the VECI label.