Some 2012 Ford Fusion models may exhibit an illuminated MIL with DTC P0456 stored in the PCM.
1. Remove the left rear wheel/tire.
2. Remove the three rivets, six pin-type retainers and the left rear splash shield.
3. Plug the fuel tank filler pipe housing drain hole using Motorcraft Clear Silicone Rubber or equivalent.
4. Determine the vehicle build date. If the build date is on or before 5/23/2012, proceed to Step 5. If after 5/23/2012, proceed to Step 6.
5. Inspect the pressure of a fill pipe drain tube and install, if not already installed.
6. Install the left rear splash shield.
7. Install the left rear wheel/tire assembly and lower the vehicle.
8. Insert and remove the supplemental refueling adapter (SRA) into the fuel tank filler pipe five times, leaving it fully inserted for one minute before removing.
9. Using compressed air regulated at 90 psi, apply five short bursts of air onto the capless fuel tank filler pipe door seal.
10. Clear all continuous codes from the PCM.