Some 2008-2010 Ford F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with a 6.4L diesel engine may exhibit a lack of power, MIL on, with DTCs P20E2, P20E3, P20E4, P2080, P2084, P242A, P242B, P0544 or P2031. The issue may involve the EGT (exhaust gas temperature) sensor.
Monitor all continuous memory diagnostic trouble codes using the IDS scan tool or equivalent. If any of the previously listed trouble codes are present, replace the faulty EGT sensor based on the DTC present using the EGT replacement procedure as follows:
- With the ignition switch in the OFF position, disconnect the faulty EGT sensor connector.
- Disconnecting an EGT sensor with the key in the ON position may force the vehicle into a one-hour no-crank lock-out.
- Cut the EGT sensor connector wire leads just above the sensor.
- Apply heat to the EGT sensor mounting boss to aid in sensor removal.
- Use a 13 mm, six-point deep-well socket to remove the sensor from the exhaust.
- Apply a small amount of Motorcraft High Temperature Nickel Anti-Seize lubricant to the threads of the new sensor.
- Install the new sensor and torque to 22 ft.-lbs.