This TSB applies to 2009 and later Boxster, Boxster S, Cayman, Cayman S, 911 Carrera, Carrera S and Turbo models.
Porsche notes that engine oil level sensors have been replaced needlessly. After filling the engine with engine oil, the oil level must be measured using the on-board computer (confirmation check). If the confirmation check is not carried out, the “Check oil level” warning message will be displayed.
In addition, the “check oil level” warning message will be displayed if the oil level has not been checked after a period of time which varies according to the vehicle and driver (this time is calculated by the instrument cluster based on certain parameters such as driving style, average distance, number of cold starts, etc. This will differ among drivers.
Ask the customer whether he/she carried out a confirmation check after checking the oil level and explain how to do this correctly in accordance with the owner’s manual.
- Add up to half a liter of engine oil at a time. Never add more oil than required to reach the MAX marking.
- Check the oil level again using the on-board computer. Switch the engine off. Push the operating lever forward in order to switch on the selection field.
- Select “Oil” with the operating lever.
- Push the operating lever forward to start measurement.
- Allow the waiting time to elapse.
- Once the measurement has been completed, you can read the engine oil level on the segment display.
- If the segments are filled in up to the top line, the oil level has reached the maximum mark.
- Repeat the procedure and add more oil if necessary.