This bulletin applies to all Infinity vehicles equipped with the 7-speed automatic transmission using Nissan Matic S ATF.
According to Infiniti, when filling the transmission, checking ATF level, or if the pan of a RE7R01 series 7-speed A/T has been drained or removed, a special “Transmission Fill Pump,” P/N J-49829 must be used.
This special tool is considered “essential” and was sent to dealers Jan. 19, 2010.
Caution: Fill the transmission fill pump with new Nissan Matic S ATF (999MP-MTS00P) only. Never fill with any other fluid.
- Park the vehicle on a lift and set the parking brake.
- Connect CONSULT III (C-111) to the vehicle.
- With C-111, monitor ATF temperature. ATF temperature must be maintained at 95-113 degrees F during ATF level check. If the ATF temperature is above 113 degrees F, stop the engine and allow the ATF to cool.
- Once the ATF temperature reaches approximately 104 degrees F, start the engine and allow it to idle.
- Shift the shift selector lever in each gear position and then return to Park.
- Raise the vehicle on the lift. Leave the engine idling. If the engine is turned off, the ATF level will be adjusted well below the proper level.
- Place a drain pan under the transmission pan and remove the overflow plug from the transmission pan. At first, an initial amount of fluid may come out. This does not mean that the transmission is full. Important: In order to make sure the transmission is correctly filled, you must first overfill the transmission, and then let the excess fluid drain from the overflow plug hole.
- Connect the Transmission Fill Pump at the overflow plug hole.
- Pump in approximately 2 quarts of Nissan Matic S ATF.
- Disconnect the Fill Pump hose at the quick disconnect. If a steady stream of fluid drains out, go to the next step. If little or no fluid drains out, repeat Steps 8 and 9. The amount of fluid that drains out should be enough so that it is obvious that the fluid was overfull and is now draining to the correct level. The engine must be kept idling for the entire duration of the fluid check.
- Allow fluid to drain from the overflow tube until it is just a drip. Check to make sure that fluid temperature is still within the specified range (95-113 degrees F).
- Install a new overflow plug. Torque the plug to 9 ft-lb (12.4 Nm).