Some 2006-2010 Ford Explorers, Mercury Mountaineers and 2007-2010 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles may exhibit a condition where the odometer display reading momentarily flips from the bottom to the top of the message center screen, then back to normal display mode (Fig. 1). This concern may be very intermittent and difficult to verify.
The following procedure involves installing a Fair Rite Cable Snap-ON Suppressor which must be ordered directly from the supplier Newark.
- Newark telephone number: 800-463-9275
- Newark website: www.Newark.com
- Newark P/N: 78K6137
- Mfg: Fair Rite
- Mfg P/N: 0444176451
- Remove the instrument cluster (IC).
- Install the Fir Rite Round Cable Snap-On Suppressor around the cluster harness circuits (Fig. 2).
- Install PVC tape (164-R4901) from Rotunda kit 164-R4900 around the suppressor (Fig. 3).
- Install a tie strap in between the suppressor and the wiring harness (Fig. 4).
- Tuck the suppressor behind the IC plastic support bracket and secure the tie strap around the IC bracket (Fig. 5).
- Install the IC.