Some 2009-2011 Escape, Mariner and 2010-2011 Fusion and Milan vehicles equipped with the 6F35 automatic transmission may exhibit a fluid leak from the left-hand halfshaft seal. This may be due to seal and/or bushing wear, caused by the halfshaft surface finish.
A service kit is now available for these vehicles which includes all parts needed to perform the repair, including the bushing and seal.
2009-2011 ESCAPE AND MARINER
The Escape and Mariner kit includes the inboard CV joint housing, and eliminates the need for halfshaft assembly replacement.
- Replace the LH halfshaft seal. Refer to WSM Section 307-01. When the halfshaft seal is removed, visually inspect the transaxle case bushing for wear. If the bushing is visually worn, replace the bushing in the transaxle case. If the bushing is not visually worn, clean the area behind the halfshaft seal before installing the new seal.
- Clamp the LH halfshaft in a soft-jawed vise.
- Remove and discard the one large inboard CV boot clamp.
- Remove the inboard CV joint housing and discard.
- Push the booth back and remove all grease from the boot.
- Install half of the packet of grease (supplied with the kit) into the new CV joint housing. Inject the other half of the grease into the boot on the CV tripod joint.
- Install the new inboard CV joint housing on the CV tripod and new large inboard CV boot clamp.
- Insert a small flat-blade screwdriver under the boot seal to allow the air to escape. Slide the tripod joint in as far as it will go, then pull it out 20mm (0.787 in.). Remove the screwdriver.
- Using special service tool 205-343 (CV joint boot clamp installer), install the new CV boot clamp.
2010-2011 FUSION AND MILAN
The Fusion and Milan kit includes the halfshaft assembly. The kit does include additional parts (halfshaft boot and small clamp) that are not required for this repair. Replace the LH halfshaft and seal. When the halfshaft seal is removed, visually inspect the transaxle case bushing for wear. If the bushing appears worn, replace it. If not, clean the area behind the halfshaft seal before installing the new seal.