This bulletin applies to 2007-2011 Acura MDX, 2009-2010 RL, 2009-2011 TL, 2010 TSX V6 and 2010-2011 Acura ZDX.
With a normal engine oil level, a “check engine oil level” message may appear on the MID or the navigation screen. The low oil pressure indicator on the instrument panel may also illuminate. The probable cause is a faulty oil pressure switch.
The corrective action is to replace the oil pressure switch. For 2007 and early production 2008 MDXs, also check the PGM-FI software and if necessary, update it with the HDS.
On 2007 MDXs and early production 2008 MDXs, the threads of the oil pressure switch are different than all other models, including later MDXs.
OIL SWITCH PART NUMBERS
2007 MDX and early production 2008 MDX: 37240-RDM-A01
All except 2007 and early production 2008 MDX: 37240-R72-A01
O-ring (10.2 x 1.9) for R72 switch only: 91319-R70-A01
TL-Flange bolt (10 x 34, two required): 90170-SDA-A01
TSX V6 Flange bolt (10 x 34, two required): 90170-SDC-A00
TL and TSX V6 Flange bolt (12 x 75, one required): 90396-S5A-010
Only the 2007-2008 MDXs may need a software update. HDS software version 2.020.018 (Dec. 2009, green) or later.
Control module (CM) update: Database update 27-NOV-2009 or later.
The update PGM-FI software program IDs and P/Ns are shown below. If the HDS or MVCI is loaded with the latest software, and it displays No Update Needed during the update, the software for this service bulletin is already installed.
YEAR/MODEL PROGRAM ID PROGRAM P/N
2007 MDX YEA580 37805-RYE-A58
2008 MDX YEA630 37805-RYE-A63
1. Start the engine. Turn the steering wheel fully to the right, then shut off the engine.
2. Raise the vehicle on a lift.
3. For 2007-2008 MDX: detach the front clip from the right inner fender. Pull back the edge of the inner fender and look for an “R72” mark on the right side of the oil pump. If the oil pump features the “R72” mark, use P/N 37240-R72-A01 for the new engine oil pressure switch. If the oil pump does not have the “R72” mark, use oil pressure switch P/N 37240-RDM-A01.
4. Re-attach the front clip to the right front inner fender.
5. TL and TSX V6: Remove the front subframe middle mount.
6. For easier removal of the engine oil pressure switch, disconnect the rocker arm oil pressure switch connector.
7. Disconnect the engine oil pressure switch connector and remove the switch.
8. Remove any liquid gasket from in or around the switch hole.
9. Apply a very thin layer of liquid gasket to the threads of the new switch. For the R72 switch only: Install a new O-ring. Install the switch and torque to 13 ft.-lbs.
10. Reconnect the engine oil pressure switch connector and the rocker arm oil pressure switch connector.
11. TL and TSX V6: Reinstall the front subframe middle mount with NEW bolts and tighten (10x1.25mm side bolts to 36 lb-ft; 12x1.25mm lower bolt to 33 ft.-lbs.).
12. For 2007-2008 MDX: make sure that the vehicle has the correct software loaded. If not, update the PGM-FI software.