This bulletin applies to 2016-2019 Mazda Miata MX-5 vehicles. Some vehicles may have DTC C1001:92 stored in memory. This code sets as a past record for low visibility of the Forward Sensing Camera (FSC). It does not mean that there is an actual FSC defect.
In some cases, the customer may have a concern with the Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS) and/or High Beam Control system (HBC). In other cases, this DTC might be found without a related customer concern.
If the vehicle has this DTC, do not replace the FSC. The vehicle might store C1001:92 and stop the FSC function while driving under the following conditions:
1. At night, when there is no artificial lighting such as a traffic signal, street light or reflective surface.
2. When direct or indirect sunlight makes forward visibility difficult (backlight).
3. When it’s hard to see the traffic lane due to a wet or snow covered road reflecting lights.
4. When visibility is poor in front of the vehicle due to fog.
5. When driving on a road without markings.
6. In conditions where the windshield fogs easily.
If the customer has concerns regarding the LDWS and/or HBC malfunction, confirm when the issue first happened. If the issue happened during one of the driving conditions above, explain the following two items to the customer:
The HBC system switches to low beam when:
Sign up for a FREE subscription to Auto Service Professional magazineSubscribe