Some 2013 Ford F-Super Duty and F-150 trucks equipped with SYNC and/or MyFord Touch built on or before 1/15/2013 may exhibit a voice prompt indicating SYNC Services Traffic, Direction or Information (TDI) is unable to locate the vehicle or a Global Position System Module (GPSM) concern.
MyFord Touch-equipped vehicles with navigation may exhibit a screen message indicating “Navigation Stopped Functioning – Contact your dealer,” GPSM has a red strike through an X, “Navigation Unavailable” is displayed in the upper right hand corner of the display screen, or the last known vehicle location may be displayed instead of the current location, or the vehicle location may be displayed as off road from the current vehicle position.
1. On vehicles equipped with MyFord Touch, identify the software level from the touch screen. All other SYNC systems proceed to Step 8.
a.. Touch the Settings icon (gears).
b. Touch Help from the menu.
c. Touch System Information from the menu and record the Customer Central Processing Unit Software Version (CCPU S/W Version).
2.. Is the software version at 4.29.12285 or higher?
a. Yes....using the scan tool and Professional Technician Society (PTS) website, reconfigure the Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM) as-built data using Custom Programming by proceeding to Step 3.
b. No.....the software version must be at 4.29.12285 or higher to proceed.
3. Connect the scan tool, open PTS, select Read VIN and DTCs.
4. From PTS, select the SYNC drop-down from the OASIS tab.
5. Scroll to the bottom of the SYNC page, select the Custom bubble, select Read SYNC. The tool will gather module data and display available software for installation.
6. Select the bubble for currently installed assembly indicated by the check marks for Vehicle Interface Processor (VIP), Consumer Interface Processor (CIP) and Assembly, and select Continue at the bottom of the page. No applications should be selected during this programming procedure.
7. Select Program SYNC. Follow on-screen prompts to complete APIM programming.
8. Reprogram the GPSM to the latest calibration using IDS release 83.03 and higher. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
Sign up for a FREE subscription to Auto Service Professional magazineSubscribe