This bulletin involves all applicable Kia models and provides additional/revised information regarding driveshaft serviceability involving parts such as boots, joints and hardware for serviceable driveshafts.
1. Remove the driveshaft by referring to the appropriate section of the shop manual.
2. Remove both clamps from the inner tripod joint boot (transaxle side) using a flat-bladed screwdriver. Clamps are one-time use and must be replaced. See Image 1.
3. Carefully slide the boot along the driveshaft and away from this tripod joint. Clean excess grease from the assembly using a shop towel.
4. To maintain driveshaft balance integrity, mark the trunnion (A), tripod joint case (B) and splines (C). Example marks are shown as (D). See Image 2.
5. Carefully remove the retaining clip (if equipped) from the tripod joint case using snap-ring pliers or a flat-bladed screwdriver.
6. Separate the tripod joint case from the assembly.
7. Using snap-ring pliers, carefully remove the snap ring (A) from the driveshaft. See Image 3.
8. Carefully remove the trunnion assembly from the driveshaft using a suitable puller. Clean off any excess grease. See Image 4.
Sign up for a FREE subscription to Auto Service Professional magazineSubscribe