Owners of a 2014-2016 Jeep Compass or Patriot built on or before March 9, 2016, may experience a crank/no-start or MIL on. The technician may find DTC B1A25 (invalid key) or B1A29 (SKIM base station mismatch).
This bulletin involves updating the wireless control module (WCM) with new software.
Install a battery charger to keep battery voltage between 13.2 and 13.5 volts.
1. Will the engine crank and start? If yes, proceed to Step 5. If it won’t start, proceed to Step 2.
2. Turn off the ignition and pull the Ignition Off Draw (IOD) fuse.
3. Install the IOD fuse and try to start the engine again.
4. Will the engine crank and start? If yes, proceed to Step 6. If not, normal diagnostics need to be performed and repair as necessary.
5. Reprogram the WCM with the latest software release.
6. After WCM reprogramming, clear all DTCs.
Sign up for a FREE subscription to Auto Service Professional magazineSubscribe