This TSB applies to 2010-2011 Nissan Altima sedan and coupe models, and involves idle speed fluctuations when the engine is cold (has not reached normal operating temperature). Once operating temperature has been reached, idle speed is normal and stable.
Nissan notes that this condition, if it occurs, may occur immediately following an engine oil change.
Connect the CONSULT PC to the vehicle to begin a reprogramming procedure.
* Connect a battery charger to the vehicle battery. If the 12V battery voltage drops during reprogramming, the ECM may be damaged.
* Be sure to turn off all vehicle electrical loads. If an electrical load remains on, the ECM may be damaged.
* For ECM reprogramming, the CONSULT PC must be connected to the VI using the USB cable, or the process may be interrupted, resulting in ECM damage.
* Be sure to connect the AC adapter. If the CONSULT PC battery voltage drops during reprogramming, the ECM may be damaged.
* Turn off al external Bluetooth devices (cell phones, printers, etc.) within range of the CONSULT PC and the VI. If Bluetooth signal waves are within range of the CONSULT PC during reprogramming, the ECM may be damaged.
When you arrive at the ECM Reprogramming screen, confirm this bulletin as follows:
* On your C-III screen, look at the PART NUMBER column. If this column is blank (no part number listed), this bulletin does not apply. Close C-III and refer to ASIST for further diagnostic information.
* If a part number is listed, record this on the repair order.
* Compare the part number shown to the numbers in the Current ECM Part Number column in Table A. If there is a match, this bulletin applies. Continue with the reprogramming. If there are two lines (two reprogramming options) on your C-III screen, use the one that does not have the message “Caution! Use ONLY with NTBXX-XXX.”
* If there is not a match, this bulletin does not apply.
Model Engine Transmission Current ECM Part Number
2010 Altima QR25DE (4cyl) CVT 23710-ZX12A, ZX12B, ZX12C
2010 Altima QR25DE (4cyl) MT 23710-ZX13A, ZX13B, ZX13C
2011 Altima QR25DE (4cyl) CVT 23710-ZX58A
2011 Altima QR25DE (4cyl) MT 23710-ZX59A
If this bulletin applies and you have performed ECM reprogramming, the screen will display when reprogramming is complete. If the screen does not display (reprogramming not complete), refer to the “ECM Reprogram Interruption Recovery” general procedure.
Be sure to erase all DTCs from all systems (during reprogramming, DTCs will set in several systems and must be erased). Test drive the vehicle and make sure it operates correctly and that the MIL is off. If the MIL illuminates, go back to ASIST for further diagnostic information.
Sign up for a FREE subscription to Auto Service Professional magazineSubscribe