Some Ford F-Super Duty F-250-450 pickup trucks equipped with the 6.7L diesel engine may experience an engine shudder with or without turbo flutter noise around 900-1,400 rpm with steady throttle.
The issue may be more noticeable at high elevation, high ambient temperature and/or when driving up a slight incline. The concern is not present during regeneration or while using cruise control. Some vehicles that exhibit the concern may set DTC P0299.
- Check all continuous memory diagnostic trouble codes (CMDTCs). If any DTCs other than P0299 are present, this bulletin does not apply. Continue with normal diagnostics.
- Using the IDS, take a recording of the event. Enter data logger and select the following pids:
- MAP_A (psi), MAF_A (g/s), EBP (psi).
- RPM, APP1 (%), VGTDC (%).
- EGRTP_CMD (%).
- Road test the vehicle and duplicate the concern.
- Make a recording of the event.
- Review the recording and compare it to the example shown here. If the recording shows MAF_A fluctuation with APP1 steady, replace the turbocharger. If not, this bulletin does not apply. Proceed with normal diagnostics.
REPLACEMENT TURBOCHARGER……P/N BC3Z-6K682-EA
If the recording shows MAF_A fluctuation with APP1 steady, the turbocharger must be replaced.