Some owners of Kia Soul models produced from 1-8-2009 to 9-13-2009 equipped with manual transmissions may complain about difficulty in getting into first gear when coming to a stop. To repair this concern, replace the transaxle gear shift lower skirt (complete shifter assembly replacement is not necessary).
- Apply the parking brake and unscrew the shift knob by turning counter-clockwise.
- Remove the spring and damper (use caution to avoid getting grease on the upholstery).
- Remove the shifter boot by pulling to the side and releasing the retainer clips.
- While holding the upper skirt, pull to separate the lower skirt from the upper skirt assembly. Note that the reverse lock-out faces down.
- While holding the upper skirt, push the new lower skirt into position, fully engaging to the upper skirt.
- Install with the reverse lock-out on the left side. Apply a small amount of lubricant on the replacement part that rides on the steel shaft.
- Snap the boot back into place.
- Install the spring and damper, and install the shift knob, making sure that orientation is correct (direction of shift pattern).
The replacement lower skirt is available under P/N 43713 2K100QQK.
Note the location of the lower skirt.
Shown is the correct assembly of the lower skirt (black unit) to the upper skirt.