Owners of 2011-2013 Dodge Chargers and Chrysler 300 vehicles may complain about the decklid opening unintentionally when in Park and with the driver within proximity of the vehicle. This bulletin involves inspecting the decklid passive entry switch and replacing if needed.
1. Determine if the trunk passive entry switch button surface is plastic (slippery) or rubber (grippy) by rubbing a finger across the switch button. Appearance is very similar. If the button is plastic, replace the switch. According to Chrysler, if the button is rubber, no further action is required (sounds like a typical response).
2, Remove the center high mounted stop lamp (CHMSL) from the decklid.
3. Inspect the CHMSL to decklid seal for any damage and/or deterioration. Replace if necessary to prevent water intrusion.
4. Remove the passive entry switch from the CHMSL housing.
5. Replace the previous version plastic button passive entry switch with the new rubber version switch. The new switch is available as P/N 68087978AC.
6. Install the new passive entry switch into the CHMSL.
7. Install the CHMSL to the decklid and tighten the fasteners to 89 in-lb. Refer to the service manual or follow procedures available in TechCONNECT.
Sign up for a FREE subscription to Auto Service Professional magazineSubscribe