This bulletin applies to 2012 BMW 328i models. A check control message “Electronic Malfunction” may be displayed in the instrument cluster and CID (Central Information Display) along with various electrical functions inoperative.
One or more of the following functional faults may also be present:
The cause may be a JBE (Junction Box Electronics) software error. Do not replace any parts.
1. Perform a vehicle test using the latest ISTA diagnostic software. Note: When the ISTA system message displays “Battery voltage only “XX.XX” V, connect a battery charger.
2. If ISTA is able to communicate with the vehicle, complete all relevant test plans related to the fault symptoms.
3. If ISTA will not communicate with the vehicle and the battery is accessible, perform a battery reset for approximately 30 minutes.
4. If ISTA will not communicate with the vehicle and the battery is not accessible in the trunk or cargo area, disconnect the JBE for about 30 minutes. Refer to ISTA repair instructions “Removing and installing or replacing junction box electronics.”
5. After the battery reset or the JBE remove and reinstall procedure, check the operation of all functions that were inoperable and repeat steps 1 and 2 as necessary.
6. Program the vehicle using ISTA/P 2.47.2 or later. Note that ISTA/P will automatically reprogram and code all programmable control modules that do not have the latest software.
Sign up for a FREE subscription to Auto Service Professional magazineSubscribe