Cam Bore Bugaboo
Some 2009-2011 Ford Escapes and Mariners and 2010-2011 Fusion and Milan vehicles equipped with a 3.0L engine, with the engine built on or before 3-1-2011 may exhibit a MIL on with DTCs P0011, P0012, P0021, P0022 and/or P034X.
1. Verify the engine build date. If the engine build date is after 3-1-2011, do not continue with this procedure. Refer to the powertrain control/emissions diagnosis manual for normal diagnostics.
2. Remove both valve covers.
3. Remove both front intake and both front exhaust camshaft thrust bearing caps.
a. If the camshaft thrust bearing cap(s) show abnormal surface wear, proceed to Step 4. Wear in the thrust bearing cap could be the cause of the variable camshaft timing (VCT) setting DTCs due to oil leakage from excessive clearance in the cam bearing cap. This in turn will not allow enough oil to feed the VCT phaser for proper operation.
b. If the camshaft thrust bearing cap(s) does not exhibit any abnormal wear, re-assemble the caps to the cylinder head and torque the bolts to 7.5 ft.-lbs. and proceed to Step 5. Note that slight polishing is normal and is not a reason to replace the cylinder head.
4. Inspect the camshaft journal that is under the affected worn cam thrust bearing cap for wear.
a. If only the cylinder head’s cap shows wear, replace the cylinder head.
b. If both the cam cap and camshaft show wear, replace the affected cylinder head and the affected camshaft.
5. Replace both VCT solenoids.
a. If the engine has less than 30,000 miles, the intake gasket and spark plug well gaskets should be re-usable. Inspect and replace only if gaskets are damaged.
b. If the engine has 30,000 miles or more, replace the intake and spark plug well gaskets. In all cases, the valve cover perimeter gasket must be replaced.
3M4Z-6020-AA……….Right front cover gasket
9L8Z-9H486-B………..Upper intake gasket
9L8Z-9439-A…………Lower intake gasket
9L8Z-8C527-A……….Gasket, cam cover (2 required)
9L8Z-6584-A…………Cam cover gasket RH
9L8Z-6584-B…………Cam cover gasket LH