AAPEX: OTC debuts Encore Android-based tool
OTC’s next-generation scan tool, the Encore, is making its debut at the 2013 Automotive Aftermarket Products Expo (AAPEX) in Las Vegas Nov. 5-7 at the Sands Expo Center.
The company says the Encore is the first Android-based scan tool for the North American market, capitalizing on the operating system’s speed, ease of use and functionality.
“The operating system on this tool is Android OS,” said Patrick Pierce, director of Global Product Development, Bosch Automotive Service Solutions, a business unit of the Bosch Automotive Aftermarket division of Robert Bosch LLC.
“Like your smartphone, you can browse the Web, Google and do all the things you can do on an Android platform, which has permitted us to develop a tool that boots up faster and allows technicians to move through testing more quickly.”
Utilizing Wi-Fi and Bluetooth wireless capability, technicians can spend more time diagnosing and fixing vehicles without having to leave the vehicle to search for additional information.
Behind Encore’s 7-inch touch screen, which recognizes common device commands such as swipe and pinch, is a custom user interface with a boot time of less than 30 seconds or less. In addition to a new operating system, Encore has:
- Full scan functionality, including OEM domestic, Asian and European bidirectional controls and enhanced data;
- X-Connect features AutoDetect to automatically detect and alert the technician of on-tool or Web-based repair information including Identifix Direct-Hit;
- Access to popular technician forums via Wi-Fi connections;
- More than 70 embedded training videos; and
- Access to the Google Play store to download apps, music and more for a personalized diagnostics tool.
“The purchaser of this product will be a combination of shop owners who are looking to equip their shops with new diagnostic tools, and it can also meet the budgets of serious technicians do diagnostics every day,” said Pierce.
The Encore will be available in Q1 2014 through OTC’s traditional distribution channels.
More information on OTC tools can be found at www.OTCtools.com.