Honda timing chirp
This TSB applies to 2005-2008 Honda Accord V6, Odyssey, Pilot and Ridgeline vehicles. A chirping noise may be noticed at the lower timing belt area, most often noticed at idle after the engine warms up.
The probable cause: the idler pulley mounting surface is tilted, causing the edge of the timing belt to rub against the side of the pulser flange on the drive pulley (gear).
Install a taper shim and grind a deeper relief on the engine mount bracket if needed. NOTE: 2007 Accord V6 vehicles may also require a water pump replacement. This applies to the following 2007 Accords:
2-door with M/T (from VIN 1HGCM8…7A002002 through 1HGCM8…7A004104)
2-door with A/T (from VIN 1HGCM8…7A002029 through 1HGCM8…7A003983)
4-door with M/T (from VIN 1HGCM6…7A037354 through 1HGCM6…7A060259)
4-door with A/T (from VIN 1HGCM6…7A034807 through 1HGCM6…7A057992)
Taper shim kit (includes taper shim, timing belt and timing belt drive pulley (gear):
2005 models -- P/N 04148-RCA-305, H/C 9020058
2006-08 models -- P/N 04148-RCA-306, H/C 9020066
Water pump (2007 Accord V6 only): P/N 19200-RDM-A02, H/C 8017519
Hondalock 1 -- P/N 08713-0001, H/C 2963825 (one container enough for about 10 vehicles)
NOTE: Honda estimates the service time at 2.6 hours (without water pump replacement) and 3.0 hours with water pump replacement.
1. Affected 2007 Accord V6 only: Drain the engine coolant into a clean container and save for reuse.
2. Set the engine to TDC (top dead center).
3. Remove the crankshaft pulley.
4. Remove the timing belt covers.
5. Unbolt the CKP (crankshaft position sensor). Do not disconnect the CKP harness connector.
6. Remove the timing belt.
7. Affected 2007 Accord V6 only: Remove the timing belt adjuster.
8. Affected 2007 Accord V6 only: Remove the water pump.
9. Remove the engine mount bracket.
10. Remove the timing belt idler pulley.
11. Try to insert a 0.95 mm feeler gauge between the top edge of the timing belt idler pulley and the back of the side engine mount bracket overhanging the pulley. If you can insert the feeler gauge, go to step 13. If you can’t insert the feeler gauge, go to step 12.
12 .Use a die grinder with a 2 inch, 50-grit grinding disc (or equivalent) to remove material for clearance on the side engine mount bracket. Use the engine mount bracket circular casting offset as a guide for grinding until the lip measures 2 mm thick (measure with a caliper or micrometer).
13. Affected 2007 Accord V6 only: Replace the water pump and refill the cooling system.
14. Affected 2007 Accord V6 only: Reinstall the timing belt adjuster.
15. Place the idler pulley shim between the idler pulley and the oil pump housing, and loosely install the idler pulley bolt with Hondalock 1 applied to the bolt threads. Be sure to follow the instructions on the Hondalock 1 container.
NOTE: the shim tapers from left to right. The word “OUT” is painted in white and stamped into the tang of the shim, and should be readable when the shim is installed.
16. When tightening the idler pulley bolt, use the square end of a ¼-inch drive ratchet extension to keep the shim’s tab in the correct position (preventing it from rotating). After you tighten the idler pulley bolt to 33 ft.-lbs. (44 Nm), bend the shim’s tab slightly towards the oil pump housing to keep it away from the idler pulley.
17. Install a new timing belt drive pulley (gear).
18. Install a new timing belt.
19. Reinstall the CKP and torque the mounting bolt to 7.2 lb-ft (9.8 Nm).
20. Reassemble the remaining parts using the appropriate service manual procedures. If you replaced the water pump, be sure to bleed any air from the cooling system.