New Pistol Grip Flaring Tool Works On or Off a Vehicle
The new compact pistol grip flaring tool, PFT409, from S.U.R&R. is designed to produce professional-grade flares in seconds, on or off the vehicle.
S.U.R&R. says one person can create fluid line flares even while working in tight spaces on the vehicle. A hydraulic pistol grip handle delivers 6,000 psi of crimping pressure and requires little effort to squeeze.
A magnetic yoke holds the dies in place, helping the installer avoid dropping the dies or misaligning the tubing during set-up. The yoke is attached to a secure-grip handle, and the two pieces swivel together, providing control and positioning for on-vehicle flaring.
For off-vehicle flaring, remove the yoke handle and use the tool in a vice.
“The PFT409 is engineered so that one person can consistently create professional-grade flares, even while working in tight spaces on the vehicle. It’s easy on the hand and easy on the tech,” says Bob Joy, S.U.R.&R. national sales manager. “This eliminates problems with traditional flaring tools that, oftentimes, require two people to operate, are too bulky for tight spaces and produce inconsistent flares which adds labor and time to the job.”
Watch the pistol grip flaring tool in use below.
The company says the PFT409 comes with all the punches and dies needed to create the most widely used SAE and DIN flares on S.U.R.&R. UltraBend (bendable, non-corrosive), steel or coated brake tubing. The tool will also create inverted flares for fuel, power steering and transmission lines.
- Sizes include 3/16 inch/4.75 mm, 1/4 inch/6 mm, 5/16 inch/8 mm, 3/8 inch/10 mm (single/double only).
- A detent ball on the hydraulic handle allows the punches to be changed quickly.
- Sizes include 3/16 inch/4.75 mm, 1/4 inch/6 mm, 5/16 inch/8 mm, 3/8 inch/10 mm.
- Die channels (3/16 inch/4.75 mm, 1/4 inch/6 mm sizes) are smooth to avoid tubing scarring. Grooved channels (5/16 inch/8 mm, 3/8 inch/10 mm sizes) are included for extra gripping.
- Pins ensure accurate alignment of dies.
- Magnetic yoke hold dies securely in place.
- Brake flares: SAE single (45 degree bubble), SAE double (45 degree inverted), DIN single (mushroom).
- Additional inverted flares for fuel, power steering and transmission lines.
S.U.R.&R. is a division of Husky Corp.