Mitsubishi shift flare
Owners of some Mistubishi vehicles may complain of shift flare when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. Affected vehicles include:
2001-2005 Eclipse Spyder
2004 Lancer Sportback Wagon
- Test drive the vehicle to confirm that shift flare occurs at the 2-3 shift.
- Check the ATF level and color. Correct as necessary. Inspect the A/T drain plug for metal debris.
- Start the engine and warm the ATF to 140-212 degrees F. With constant throttle opening at TPS reading 1.7V – 1.8V, confirm that the 2-3 upshift occurs between 35 and 40 mph. Continue this driving pattern until the 2-3 shift has occurred five times. If the shift flare is not eliminated after the 2-3 shift has occurred five times, continue with Step 4.
- Check for DTCs. If any DTC is set, diagnose the DTC(s) per the service manual. If no DTCs are set, perform the pressure tests for the OD clutch and 2nd brake as described in Group 23 of the service manual. Record the pressures on the repair order. Then continue with Step 5.
- Open the rear cover of the transmission. In the seal ring area, inspect the drum, seal rings and rear cover for grooves, excessive damage and poor clearance. Perform this inspection with the transmission in the vehicle. If any grooves, damage or clearance problems are found, replace the following parts with the new improved parts now available from Mitsubishi:
- Reverse/OD clutch assembly (with drum)
- Reverse retainer
- Seal rings
- Rear cover
- Input shaft rear bearing