Can’t shut off Jeep ESP
Owners of 2008-2009 Jeep Compass or Patriot vehicles may complain that they are unable to use the ESP Off feature (electronic stability control off). After pressing and holding the ESP button for five seconds, the customer will not see the “ESP OFF" display.
Normal operation of the ESP Off is confirmed by a single warning chime and a text message in the odometer display “ESP FULL OFF.” The system can be returned to “normal” full-on mode by briefly pressing and releasing the ESP off switch. The switch resets itself each time the ignition is cycled.
Using a scan tool (StarSCAN) with the appropriate diagnostic procedures available in TechCONNECT, verify that all systems are functioning as designed. If DTCs are present, record them and repair as necessary before proceeding further.
USING THE INTERNET TO RETRIEVE THE FLASH FILE:
The StarSCAN diagnostic scan tool fully supports Internet connectivity. However, to take advantage of this feature, you must first configure the StarSCAN for your dealership’s network. For instruction, refer to either “DealerCONNECT > Service > StarSCAN and StarMOBILE tools > Online Documentation,” or refer to the StarSCAN Quick Start Networking Guide. The guide is also available on the www.dctools.com website under the “Download Center.”
- Open the hood and install a battery charger. Verify that the charging rate provides 13.2 – 13.5 volts. Set the battery charger to continuous charge (do not allow the charger to time out during the flash process). Do not allow the charging voltage to climb above 13.5 volts during the flash process.
- Connect the CH9410 StarSCAN Ethernet cable to the StarSCAN and the dealership’s network drop.
- Connect the CH9404D StarSCAN vehicle cable to the StarSCAN and the vehicle.
- Power the StarSCAN ON.
- Select “ECU View.”
- Touch the screen to highlight the ABS in the list of modules.
- Select “More Options.”
- Select “ECU Flash.”
- Record the part number at the top of the “Flash ABS” screen for later reference.
- Select “Browse for New File.” Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Highlight the appropriate calibration, then select “Download to Scantool.”
- Select “Close” after the download is complete, then select “Back.”
- Highlight the listed calibration.
- Select “Update Controller.” Follow the on-screen instructions.
- When the update is complete, select “OK.”
- Verify that the part number at the top of the “Flash ABS” screen has updated to the new part number.
Due to the ABS programming procedure, a DTC may be set in other modules. From the “Home” screen, select “System View,” then select “All DTCs.” Press “Clear All Stored DTCs” if any are shown on the list.