This TSB applies to E70 and E90 models equipped with diesel engines. The DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) extractor/filler unit, P/N 81 39 2 153 908, removes DEF from the system, using compressed air to create a vacuum using the venturi principle. The extractor can hold 11 liters of DEF.
DRAINING THE DEF E90
- Remove the filler connection cap on the left rear bumper.
- When draining the active tank, remove the filler cap for the passive reservoir and remove the filler cap.
- If necessary, use the screwdriver from the onboard vehicle tool kit to open the filler caps.
- Remove the cover under the left rear bumper to access the service ports for the active and passive tanks.
- Connect the extraction line from the tool P/N 81 39 2 153 908 to the active or the passive service ports.
- Connect shop air to the vacuum block and open the valve at the vacuum block on the canister for vacuum supply. Slowly open the valve of the suction line at the canister and draw off the DEF. Watch the level through the level tube. Make sure that the exhaust hose off the vacuum block is situated so that it will drain into a suitable catch pan, in case the DEF extractor gets overfilled.
DRAINING DEF E70
- Remove the filler cap of the active reservoir or the passive reservoir.
- Service ports for the active or passive reservoirs are located under the right side of the vehicle.
- Remove the cap from the service port being drained and attach the extractor hose to the port. Clean the caps for the service ports with water before reinstalling, and make sure that the caps lock back onto the service ports.
- Connect the shop air to the vacuum block and open the valve at the vacuum block on the canister for vacuum supply. Slowly open the valve of the suction line at the canister and draw off the DEF. Watch the level through the level tube. Position the vacuum block exhaust hose so that it will drain into a suitable container.
EMPTYING THE DEF EXTRACTOR
In order to empty the canister, open the drain valve located on the canister bottom. Note: The extractor will not function properly if the drain is opened while there is vacuum applied to the system. Consult with your local municipality on proper disposal of used DEF. Never reuse the DEF that is extracted from a vehicle. Always refill the SCR system with new DEF (2.5 gallon service bottles, P/N 83 19 0 440 158).
FILLING THE SCR SYSTEM
Refer to Repair Instruction RA 16 19 006 (E70 active), RA 16 19 060 (E70 passive), or RA 16 19 070 (E90) for proper installation and operation of the DEF Extractor/Filler tool P/N 81 39 2 153 908. Always wash all tools, lines and fittings with water after each use.