Some 2003-2004 Ford Super Duty or Excursion vehicles built prior to 11-1-2003 equipped with the 6.0L Powerstroke diesel engine may exhibit a water-in-fuel (WIF) lamp illumination. The lamp does not turn off after water has been drained from the horizontal fuel conditioning module (HFCM).
This may be due to corrosion/sediment buildup in the water reservoir. This buildup may also cause the drain plug to stick, making drain plug removal difficult.
It is not necessary to replace the HFCM. There is a new fuel manifold (P/N 3C3Z-9B249-AB) available which will correct the condition.
- Disconnect both battery ground cables.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Open the fuel/water separator drain valve to release fuel pressure.
- Disconnect the fuel pump, fuel warmer and water-in-fuel electrical connectors from the HFCM.
- Disconnect the fuel hoses from the HFCM. Remove the fuel hose retaining clips and discard. Disconnect the fuel hoses from the fuel pump. Press in the retaining clips and release the fuel hoses.
- Remove the screws and the old fuel manifold cover.
- Inspect/clean debris from the HFCM water reservoir housing (max. 25 psi air).
- Install the new fuel manifold and screws.
- Reinstall all electrical connectors and fuel lines to the HFCM.