Bad Ford EGRT
Some 2008-2010 Ford F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with the 6.4L engine and built on or before 11-1-2009 may exhibit a DTC P040D, related to the exhaust gas recirculation temperature (EGRT) sensor located in the right-hand turbocharger inlet pipe.
1. Using IDS scan tool, retrieve continuous memory DTC. If DTC P040D is present, continue with this procedure.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
3. Remove the right hand fender splash shield.
4. Disconnect the glow plug module electrical connectors.
5. Disconnect the inlet EGRT sensor electrical connector.
6. Cut the wire just above the sensor.
7. Apply heat to the sensor mounting boss.
8. Using a 14 mm, 6-point deepwell socket wrench, remove the sensor. Using an open-end wrench is not recommended.
9. Install a new EGRT sensor. Apply a small amount of Motorcraft High Temperature Nickel Anti-Seize lubricant to the sensor threads and tighten to 32 ft.-lbs.
10. Connect the previously cut wire.
11. Connect the EGRT sensor connector.
12. Connect the glow plug module connectors.
13. Install the right hand fender splash shield.
14. Clear all DTCs.
The replacement EGRT sensor is available as P/N 8C3Z-12B591-E.