Mismatched Toyota threads
Some 2008-2011 Toyota Highlander HV vehicles may exhibit a MIL on condition with DTC P1423, or fuel cap binding upon installation or removal.
This bulletin applies to Highlander HV 4WD vehicles built before VIN JTE#C3EH#82001106.
1. Using TIS Techstream, check for stored DTCs.
2. Verify that DTC P1423 is present.
3. Check the fuel cap condition. If it binds, continue to Step 4. If not, refer to the applicable repair manual.
4. nspect the fuel neck for overlapping threads. If the threads overlap, replace the cap with P/N 77300-50030. If the threads do not overlap, replace the fuel cap with P/N 77300-48010.
5. After the repair, perform the automatic EVAP system check again to confirm that there are no pending DTCs.