Out of time VW
This bulletin applies to all 2008-2013 VW models equipped with the 2.0L engine. Rattling noises after engine startup or engine no-start may be exhibited. This may be due to a slipped timing chain due to a faulty tensioner.
DTCs P0016 (crankshaft position vs. camshaft position correlation) and P0328 (knock sensor 1 circuit high input) are also stored. If the timing chain skips this can result in contact between pistons and valves (interference design).
If the timing chain is suspect, perform the following:
1. Complete the DTC entries according to guided fault finding (GFF).
2. Remove the lower timing chain cover.
3. Check the timing chain tensioner as follows:
- Compress the tensioning rail by hand, against the timing chain tensioner. If the tensioner piston cannot be compressed by hand after several attempts, further diagnosis is required. Inspect the intake camshaft and camshaft bearing for damage.
- If the piston of the timing chain tensioner can be compressed by hand, the timing chain tensioner has failed and further engine diagnosis may be required. If engine noises or a no-start condition remain, inspect pistons and valve for contact damage.