EnerSys offers tips to keep your customers’ batteries running in the summer heat
EnerSysEnergy Products Inc., makers of Odyssey batteries, wants auto techs to know while warmer temperatures help to increase battery capacity, making it easier to turn over the engine, they also cause an increase in the rate at which the battery deteriorates.
When the temperature is warmer, the current conducting grids corrode faster, reducing the life of your battery.
To prevent excessive discharge and keep batteries from deteriorating in the summer, follow these tips:
1. Use a premium AGM battery. Battery failures can be a major source of downtime. Using a high quality battery is a way to keep a truck running. The latest technology for batteries is Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM). High quality AGM batteries require less maintenance and tend to survive high temperatures and parasitic loads better than traditional technologies when those conditions can’t be avoided.
2. Keep the battery cool. Battery life can be extended by parking in shaded or covered areas like a garage. If the battery is in storage, be sure to follow the battery manufacturer’s recommended specifications for storage temperature.
3. Turn off the electronics. Electronics, the main source of parasitic loads, play a significant role in draining the battery of its charge. Be sure to shut down all electronics before exiting the vehicle, especially if the engine will remain inactive for long periods. An inactive engine has more time to discharge an otherwise healthy battery.
4. Keep moving. As mentioned above, parasitic loads will drain the battery if the engine remains inactive long enough, so if possible, keep the vehicle on the road.
5. Stay charged. Proper charging of the battery is the single most important action in ensuring that the battery will last for its intended life. If needed, use a battery charger, which operates to the battery manufacturer’s charging recommendations to restore the battery to a fully charged state.
Proper maintenance of the battery, both while in use and in storage, will extend its service life. If there are signs that the battery is starting to fail, replace the battery with a premium-quality replacement.
For more information about Odyssey batteries, visit www.odysseybattery.com.