Ford turbo truck shudder
Some 2011-2012 Ford F-Super Duty F-250, F-350 and F-450 trucks equipped with the 6.7L turbo diesel engine may experience an engine shudder with or without turbo flutter noise, around 900-1,400 rpm with steady throttle.
The issue may be more noticeable at high elevation, high ambient temperature and/or when driving up a slight incline. The concern is not present during regeneration or while driving while using cruise control. Some vehicles may set DTC P0299.
- Check all continuous memory diagnostics trouble codes (CMDTCs). If any DTCs are present other than P0299, this bulletin does not apply.
- Using the IDS, take a recording of the event. Enter data logger and select the following pids:
- MAP _A (psi), MAF _A (g/s), EBP (psi)
- RPM, APP1 (%), VGTDC (%)
- EGRTP_CMD (%)
- Road test the vehicle and duplicate the concern.
- Make a recoding of the event.
- Review the recording taken and compare it to the figure shown here. If the recording shows MAF_A fluctuation with APP1 steady, replace the turbocharger. Refer to workshop manual section 303-04D. If the recording does not show MAF_A fluctuation, this TSB does not apply. Proceed to normal diagnostics.
REPLACEMENT TURBOCHARGER…P/N BC3Z-6K682-EA