Owners of the 2007 Dodge Sprinter may experience a problem with the shift lever unable to move out of the Park position. This TSB involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Electronic Shifter Module (ESM) with new software. This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before July 20, 2007.
In addition to the shift lever stuck in the Park position, DTC 0007 (electronic shift module internal) is set in the ESM.
Using a scan tool (StarSCAN) with the appropriate diagnostic procedures available in TechCONNECT, verify that all engine systems are functioning properly. If DTCs are present, record them on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding.
USING THE INTERNET TO RETRIEVE THE FLASH FILE
Before performing this repair procedure, the operating software in the StarSCAN must be programmed with software release level 8.02 or higher. The software release level is visible in the blue header at the top of the StarSCAN screen.
The StarSCAN diagnostic scan tool fully supports internet connectivity. However, to take advantage of this feature, you must first configure the StarSCAN for your dealership’s network. For instruction on setting up your StarSCAN for the dealer’s network, refer to either “DealerCONNECT > Service > StarSCAN and StarMOBILE tools > Online Documentation,” or refer to the StarSCAN Quick Start Networking Guide. The StarSCAN Quick Start Networking Guide is also available on the www.dcctools.com website under the “Download Center.”
- Open the hood and install a battery charger. Using a voltmeter, verify that the charging rate provides 12.5 – 13.2 volts. This is a very critical voltage requirement. Failure to maintain this voltage may cause reprogramming to fail. Set the battery charger to continuous charge. Do not allow the charger to time-out during the flash process. Remove the battery charger from the battery when the flash process is complete.
- Connect the CH9410 StarSCAN Ethernet cable to the StarSCAN and the dealer’s network drop.
- Connect the CH9404 StarSCAN vehicle cable to the StarSCAN and the vehicle.
- Power the StarSCAN ON.
- Select “ECU View.”
- Touch the screen to highlight the ESM in the list of modules.
- Select “More Options.”
- Select “ECU Flash.”
- Record the part number at the top of the “Flash ESM” screen for later reference.
- Select “Browse for New File.” Follow the screen instructions.
- Highlight the appropriate calibration, the select “Download to Scantool.”
- Select “Close” after the download is complete, then select “Back.”
- Highlight the listed calibration.
- Select “Update Controller.” Follow on-screen instructions.
- When the update is complete, select “OK.”
- Verify that the part number at the top of the “Flash ESM” screen has update to the new part number.
NOTE: Due to the ESM programming procedure, a DTC may be set in other modules within the vehicle. Some DTCs may cause the MIL to illuminate. From the “Home” screen, select “System View,” then select “All DTCs.” Press “Clear All Stored DTCs” if there are any DTCs shown on the list.
SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED
CH9401 StarSCAN Tool
CH9404 StarSCAN Vehicle Cable
CH9409 StarSCAN Documentation Kit
CH9410 StarSCAN Ethernet Cable, 12 ft.
CH9412 StarSCAN Software Update Device Kit
TechCONNECT PC or equivalent