Matching fuel cap threads to necks
Some 2008-2011 Toyota Highlander HV vehicles may exhibit a MIL on condition with DTC P1423, or fuel cap binding upon installation or removal. This TSB applies to vehicles produced before production change effective VIN JTE#C3EH#B2001106.
- Using Techstream, check for stored DTCs.
- Verify that DTC P1423 is present.
- Check the fuel cap condition. If the fuel cap binds while removing or installing, continue to Step 4. If not, refer to the TIS for applicable model year Highlander HV repair manual.
- Inspect the fuel neck for overlapping threads. If the threads in the fuel neck overlap, replace the fuel cap with P/N 77300-50030 and go to Step 5. If the fuel neck threads do not overlap, replace the fuel cap with P/N 77300-48010 and go to Step 5.
- After the repair is complete, perform the Automatic EVAP System Check again to confirm that there are no pending DTCs and that the system is normal.