Fix Ram wiring
This TSB refers to a MIL-on with DTC P1004, P2016 or P2017 on 2009 Dodge Ram 1500/2500 trucks and 3500 Cab Chassis vehicles, equipped with the 5.7L engine built before Jan. 22, 2009. This involves replacing the Short Runner Valve (SRV), SRV connector, wiring pigtail and adding a new stud for a tie strap.
The customer may experience a MIL illumination for the aforementioned DTCs.
P1004: Short Runner Valve Control Performance
P2016: Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor Circuit Low
P2017: Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor Circuit High
The SRV wiring takeout was not long enough and caused excessive wear on the SRV, with the SRV wiring connector resulting in a loose connection.
Using a scan tool (StarSCAN) with the appropriate diagnostic procedures available in TechCONNECT, verify that all engine systems are functioning as designed. If DTCs are present other than the ones listed above, record and repair as needed before proceeding. If the above DTCs are present, follow the repair procedure listed here.
68064996AA………….Wiring kit (SRV wiring connector, four 18-gauge wire with terminals, one stud mount tie strap, four splice crimps and four wire shrink wraps)
J3693058……………..Package of 24 ties straps
53022137AF………….Short Runner Valve
68065586AA………….One roll high abrasion tape
04318031……………..Mopar Lock and Seal adhesive
- Remove the intake manifold.
- Cover intake ports.
- Remove the short runner valve.
- Discard one of the short runner valve bolts.
- Replace the short runner valve with P/N 53022137AF. Use the new SRV stud in the hole located on the right side of the intake manifold and 2 remaining bolts on other locations. Torque the bolts to 44 in.-lbs.
- Measure 50 mm (1.9 in.) down from the end of the SRV connector and cut off the SRV connector.
- Using the 18-gauge wires from the wire kit, splice in the SRV wires. Follow the detailed wiring procedures available in DealerCONNECT/TechCONNECT. Refer to the Wiring Tab > 8W-01-Wiring Diagram Information > Wire > Standard Procedure. NOTE: Be sure to use the shrink wrap on wires after splicing.
- Install the new SRV connector from the wiring kit.
- Wrap all exposed wiring with high abrasion tape.
- Measure 100 mm (3.9 in.) from the end of the new SRV connector and install the stud mount tie-strap onto the wire.
- Measure 150 mm (5.9 in.) from the stud mount tie-strap toward the main harness and tie-strap the new SRV takeout to the main harness.
- Connect the stud mount tie-strap to the stud.
- Apply Mopar Lock and Seal adhesive onto the intake manifold bolts.
- Install the intake manifold. Be careful to avoid pinching the SRV wire under the intake manifold.
- Using the StarSCAN, erase all DTCs.