This TSB applies to 2010-2011 Mazda CX-9 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3 TB******320219 (produced before Feb. 10, 2011). After driving on a flat road for a few minutes, some vehicles may experience the DSC indicator light on momentarily, then turn off. DTC C1963 [SAS control module (yaw rate sensor) initial point correction error] is also stored in memory which can be deleted, but the DTC will re-store again.
If DTC C1963 is the only stored DTC in the DSC/RSC HU/CM, proceed to PUMA Special Servuce Tool (SST) Loaner Request. If not, this bulletin does not apply. If other DTCs are stored, refer to MS3 or the workshop manual Section 04-02b On-Board Diagnosis.
PUMA SPECIAL SERVICE TOOL LOANER REQUEST
- Request a loaner tool on Mstore to perform this procedure. Order P/N Puma2VCI-L.
- Unpack the SST and check for visual damage to the PUMA tool and OBD II cable. If damage is found, contact MNAO Technical product Support at (949) 442-6537.
- Using IDS, clear DTC C1963 from DSC/RSC HU/CM.
- Turn the ignition off.
- Disconnect IDS.
- Turn the ignition on.
- Connect the PUMA tool cable to the vehicle’s DLC2 connector.
- When the PUMA tool is properly connected to the vehicle, the “Vehicle” light will illuminate green. The reflash procedure will start automatically.
- When the reflash sequence starts, the PUMA tool “Run/Armed” light will flash orange. DO NOT remove the cable during the reflash sequence.
- Whe the reflash process is completed, the top four lights (PC/PDA, Vehicle, WLAM/E-script, Run/Armed) will flash in sequence (top-to-bottom continuously).
- Turn the ignition off.
- Turn the ignition on to verify a successful reflash. All lights will illuminate except for the “Warning/Failure” light.
- If all lights illuminate except for the “Warning/Failure” light, proceed to Step 12. If not, proceed to Reflash Fault Procedure.
- Turn the ignition off and unplug the PUMA tool from the DLC2 connector. The reflash process is complete.
- Test drive the vehicle for 300 feet.
- If the brake warning light illuminates, the repair is complete. Proceed to Step 15. If the brake warning light does illuminate, proceed to Reflash Fault Procedure.
REFLASH FAULT PROCEDURE
There could be several reasons why the “Warning/Failure” light is illuminated from failure to read the VIN to a power interruption. Follow these steps if the PUMA reflash stalls, becomes interrupted or the “Warning/Failure” light is illuminated.
- Check the vehicle for related DTCs other than C1963. Repair any DTCs first. Disconnect the PUMA cable from the PUMA tool. Repeat the reflash preparation process. Repeat the reflash procedure beginning at Step 1.
- Repeat Step 1 two times more if needed (total of three times).
- If the “Warning/Failure” light illuminates after repeating Step 1 a total of three times, contact Mazda Technical Assistance Hotline at (888) 832-8477. If not, the repair is complete.
- Repack the PUMA SST and return to Mazda Special Tools Loaner program using the supplied return label. If the tool is not returned in the same condition within one business day after the repair is complete, the shop will be charged $3,000.