Direct inject turbo runs rough
Some 2010-2011 Ford Taurus, Flex, MKS and MKT vehicles equipped with the 3.5L gasoline turbocharged direct injected (GTDI) engine may exhibit rough running, hesitation and shuddering, with DTCs P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306 or P0316.
- If the vehicle history indicates, or it can otherwise be confirmed that the spark plugs have previously been replaced and no DTCs are present, but the vehicle exhibit driveability concerns, proceed to Step 6.
- Determine the engine build date. Refer to the workshop manual, Section 303-01.
- If the engine build date is on or before 8-2-10, proceed to Step 3.
- If the engine build date is after 8-2-10, proceed to Step 6.
- Retrieve DTCs to determine which cylinder has misfired.
- Remove the spark plug from the affected cylinder.
- Check the spark plug for broken ceramic.
- If the spark plug has broken ceramic or the part number is CYFS-12F-3, replace all six spark plugs. Refer to the workshop, section 303-07.
- If the ceramic is not broken and the part number is CYFS-12Y-3, do not replace the spark plugs. Proceed to Step 7.
- Determine the vehicle build date. If the vehicle build date is on or before 10-27-10, proceed to Step 7. If the vehicle build date is after 10-27-10, do not continue with this bulletin. Refer to the powertrain control/emissions diagnosis manual for normal diagnostics.
- Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 72.03 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2011.3 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
Advise the customer that this vehicle is equipped with an adaptive transmission shift strategy which allows the vehicle’s computer to learn the transmission’s unique parameters and improve shift quality. When the adaptive shift strategy is reset, the computer will begin a re-learning process. This may result in firmer-than-normal upshifts and downshifts for several days.