Toyota steering knock
Some 2009-2010 Corolla and Matrix vehicles may exhibit a clunk, pop or knocking noise when turning the steering wheel to the left or right. A new intermediate shaft has been developed to address this condition.
This TSB applies to vehicles produced before the production change effective VINs shown below:
MODEL ENGINE PLANT PRODUCTION CHANGE EFFECTIVE VIN
Corolla 2AZ-FE NUMMI 1NXBE4EE#AZ171406
Corolla 2AZ-FE TMMC 2T1BE4EE#AC031001
Corolla 2ZR-FE NUMMI 1NXBU4EE#AZ169743
Corolla 2ZR-FE TMMC 2T1BU4EE#AC197503
Corolla 2ZR-FE Takaoka JTDBU40E#9J054516
Corolla 2ZR-FE Kanto JTDBL40E#99093141
Matrix 2AZ-FE XRS TMMC 2T1ME4EE#AC005811
Matrix 2AZ-FE S TMMC 2T1KE4EE#AC030974
Matrix 2AZ-FE AWD TMMC 2T1LE4EE#AC012021
Matrix 2ZR-FE TMMC 2T1KU4EE#AC197596
PARTS INFORMATION (STEERING INTERMEDIATE SHAFT NO. 2)
Model Production Prev. P/N Current P/N
Corolla NAP 45260-02110 Same
Matrix NAP 45260-02110 Same
Matrix AWD NAP 45260-02120 Same
Corolla Japan 45260-12620 Same
- Install a steering wheel lock to ensure that the wheels are straight and the steering wheel is centered before removing the steering intermediate shaft. Make sure that the steering wheel and front wheels remain stationary. Once the intermediate shaft is removed, do NOT allow the steering wheel to spin freely.
- Remove the column hole silencer sheet.
- Place a matchmark on the No. 2 steering intermediate shaft that will later be copied onto the new part and remove the bolt.
- Place a matchmark on the upper portion of the No. 2 steering intermediate shaft.
- Remove the bolt and the No. 2 steering intermediate shaft from the steering column assembly.
- Place the matchmarks on the new steering intermediate shaft sub-assembly.
- Place the new steering intermediate shaft next to the original steering intermediate shaft assembly and transfer the matchmarks from the original shaft assembly to the new shaft assembly.
- Install the new No. 2 intermediate shaft and line up the matchmarkls. Tighten the bolt to 26 ft.-lbf. (35 Nm).
- Install the No. 2 intermediate shaft onto the No. 1 intermediate shaft and line up the matchmarks. Tighten the bolt to 26 ft.-lbf.
- Reinstall the column hole silencer sheet.
- Road test the vehicle to verify the repair and confirm that the steering wheel is centered.