Hyundai OCV inspection
When diagnosing the Continuously Variable Valve Timing (CVVT) system for rough idling, poor acceleration, camshaft timing misalignment-related trouble codes, misfire-related trouble codes and/or other related symptoms, it may be required to inspect the Oil Control Valve (OCV) for proper operation.
Applicable Hyundai vehicles include 2009 Hyundai vehicles equipped with the Alpha 1.6L, Beta 2.0L, Theta 2.0L/2.4L, Mu 2.7L, Lambda 3.3L/3.8L and Tau 4.6L engines.
P0011 (“A” camshaft position – timing over-advanced or system performance, Bank 1)
P0012 (“A” camshaft position – timing over-retarded, bank 1)
P0014 (“B” camshaft position – timing over-advanced or system performance, Bank 1)
P0015 (“B” camshaft position – timing over-retarded, Bank 1)
P0016 (Crankshaft position-Camshaft position correlation, Bank 1 Sensor A)
P0018 (Crankshaft position-Camshaft position correlation, Bank 1 Sensor A)
P0021 (“A” camshaft position – timing over-advanced or system performance, Bank 2)
P0022 (“A” camshaft position – timing over-retarded, Bank 2)
P0300 (Random/Multiple cylinder misfire detected.
OCV COIL RESISTANCE SPECIFICATION
Denso……………….6.9 – 7.9 Ohms at 68 degrees F
Delphi………………6.7 – 7.7 Ohms at 68 degrees F
- Measure the resistance between the OCV Power and Signal terminals.
- Check to see if the OCV operates normally by providing 12V power (see Step 2)
- If coil resistance reads infinity (open), this indicates an open circuit. Replace the OCV.
- If measured coil resistance is below the specified range or zero, this indicates a short circuit. Replace the OCV.
- Check if the OCV operates normally. Careful attention is necessary to avoid a short circuit when providing the OCV with 12V power. Spacing between the OCV power and signal terminals is very narrow. Use suitable connections to prevent shorting of the test power supply.
- When 12V power is provided to the OCV, the OCV must move forward as shown in Figure 3. “A”: maximum retarded valve timing condition (12V not provided). “B”: maximum advanced valve timing condition (12V provided). Note: Reverse the connection polarity if the movement is opposite.
- If the OCV does not move forward, examine for a foreign object (such as an aluminum chip) which might be jammed inside the OCV. Blow out any debris using compressed air, reinstall the OCV and verify that the fault is corrected. If there is no damage to the OCV, do not replace it.