Some 2010 part-time 4WD Toyota 4Runner vehicles may exhibit a growl or rumble noise from the front differential assembly when the vehicle is in motion in 2WD.
- Test drive the vehicle to confirm the condition.
- Using ChassisEAR or equivalent, confirm that the noise is loudest from the left side of the differential assembly when in 2WD.
- If you confirm that the noise is loudest on the left side of the assembly, and that the noise goes away when placed in 4WD, replace the differential assembly.
- Inspect the left front axle assembly for wear. If wear is present, replace the front axle.
- Test drive and confirm proper operation.
PREVIOUS P/N CURRENT P/N PART NAME
41110-35901 same Carrier Assy, Differential, Front
43430-60080 same Shaft Assy, FR Drive
TOOLS & MATERIALS
Toyota Genuine Differential Gear Oil LT 75W-85 GL-5 or equivalent (1.6 qt)
Drive Shaft Remover Attachment P/N 09520-01010
Slide hammer (5 lb) P/N 09520-32040-01
Pitman arm puller P/N 09610-20012
NOTE: ChassisEAR or an equivalent tool (NOT a mechanic’s stethoscope) is required for this repair procedure.